When A Death Occurs

Considerate funeral planning in Perth

What to do when someone dies
If death occurs at home, a doctor should be contacted as soon as possible. Once the doctor has given authorisation, we will take the deceased person into our care. If death occurs in a hospital, hospice or nursing home, you can contact us directly and we will take care of all the practical matters.

When a death is sudden, unexpected or the result of an accident, it will be reported to the Procurator Fiscal for further investigation. This will probably mean a delay of 2 or 3 days before we can help you make definite funeral arrangements. If you contact us as soon as possible after death, we can guide you through the whole process.

Contact the team at James McEwan & Son to discuss your requirements.
Funeral flowers

Registering a death

When to register?

 The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages must register the death within eight days. But, it is desirable to have the death registered as soon as possible. A death that happens in Scotland must be registered in Scotland, even if the dead person’s usual residence was outwith Scotland and the body is to be taken outwith Scotland for internment. Registration of a death must also take place before cremation.

The death may be registered by any relative:
  • The spouse or civil partner of the person who died
  • A relative by marriage or civil partnership
  • Any person present at the death
  • The executor or other legal representative
  • The occupier of the premises where the death took place
  • Any other person possessing the information needed for registration
Registering a death

More information

Documents to be carried:
  • Medical certificate of death (Form 11)
  • Any certificate or document relating to any pension, benefits, or allowances which the person was receiving from public funds
  • NHS medical card, if available
  • The person’s birth and marriage or civil partnership certificates, if available

The Registrar will give you:
  • A Certificate of Registration of Death (Form 14), to be given to the funeral director so that the funeral can go ahead
  • On payment of the appropriate fee, an extract of the entry recorded in the Register of Deaths. You may need this to get information about the person's assets. This could include things such as their pension, insurance policies, savings, and premium bonds
We can provide you with a range of funeral services that are second to none.

"Thank you for your professionalism and empathy in dealing with my grandfather’s arrangements. With all the family living away, it was difficult to organise and thanks to you it was an extremely smooth process." 

– S. I.
For efficient funeral planning services, call James McEwan & Son in Perth on  01738 625 362
Share by: